Skip to main content

Sacrifice of Praise

“Answer me when I call to you, O God who declares me innocent. Free me from my troubles. Have mercy on me and hear my prayer. How long will you people ruin my reputation? How long will you make groundless accusations? How long will you continue your lies? You can be sure of this: The Lord set apart the godly for himself. The Lord will answer when I call to him. Don’t sin by letting anger control you. Think about it overnight and remain silent. Offer sacrifices in the right spirit, and trust the Lord. Many people say, “Who will show us better times?” Let your face smile on us, Lord. You have given me greater joy than those who have abundant harvests of grain and new wine. In peace I will lie down and sleep, for you alone, O Lord, will keep me safe.”‭‭ Psalms‬ ‭4:1-8‬ ‭NLT‬

This morning as I read my Psalm, this verse, “Offer sacrifices in the right spirit, and trust the Lord” jumped off the page. What are my sacrifices? In the Old Testament we know clearly which sacrifices God’s people are commanded to offer, but what does a sacrifice look like for me today?

Then I read my devotional from Aletha Hinthorn @ cometothefire.org:

God Loves Costly Worship
In scripture, two things--costliness and extravagance--marked worship that brought the presence of God. King Solomon offered 1,000 sacrifices to the Lord. (I Kings 3:4, 5) That night God appeared to him and offered him whatever he wanted. 

In another time of costly worship, the people brought so many sheep and oxen to be sacrificed that their numbers couldn't be recorded or counted. (Two chapters later in 2 Chronicles 7, their counted and recorded offerings totaled 22,000 oxen and 120,000 sheep. Too many to count would have been extravagant!)

What was God's response to such lavish adoration? The glory of the Lord so filled the house that the priests could not perform their services.

Mary of Bethany expressed her love for Jesus by pouring out a year's worth of ointment on Jesus. That was sacrificial giving that did not count the cost. Her profuse worship affected all those around her. The fragrance filled the house, and Jesus promised that the memory of her lovely deed would last forever.

What would be a costly praise for us to offer? Perhaps it could be one referred to in Hebrews 13:15: "Through Jesus, therefore, let us continually offer to God a sacrifice of praise." A sacrifice calls for death, and to praise continually often calls us to give up our own opinions of what God should do in our situation. When we honor Him by offering praise for all He allows, He considers it a costly praise. Such extravagant worship is precious to Him.

I praise You, Father, by accepting everything in this present moment as coming from Your good hand.

"He who offers sacrifices of praise prepares the way for the salvation of the Lord" (Psalm 50:23).


This was an answer to prayer. My sacrifice is costly worship. Worship in spite of me, my feelings, my situation, my fears. 

“I will offer you a sacrifice of thanksgiving and call on the name of the Lord.” Psalm 116:17

In this fall season I am tempted to complain to the Lord about the weather changing, the Ohio weather, our situation, my jealousy with those who move to sunny places, my discontent with living in Ohio, missing my family. This 2019 fall/ winter season I WILL NOT COMPLAIN! I will offer a sacrifice of thanksgiving during the dark & gloomy days. I will keep praising when our situation looks dreary. When the enemy is attacking our family & Venture church, I will keep praising. 

Jesus, you are worthy of my sacrifice & my praise. Thank you, Holy Spirit, for your presence here & that you never stop refining. Please make me aware of my complaining right when it starts. I want to praise you in all circumstances.

Run With Sparkle, 

Heather

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Birthday

I turned 38 last Friday. What a special day! Nate surprised me with Orange Leaf, my favorite frozen yogurt place, & a trip to Pittsburgh for Moe’s Mexican food, a Pirates game, & fireworks.  I am so thankful for these blessings pictured, but also my amazing friends & family.  I am 23 weeks pregnant today & so very thankful that the Lord has settled this “barren woman as a happy mother of children.” Everyday I am overwhelmed at God’s goodness, how He provides and takes care of me & even chooses to give extra special gifts above and beyond like birthday adventures.   Thank you, Jesus, for these 38 years.  With you in the lead I can truly say that I love getting older! Holy Spirit, with you continually working in me, through me, reminding me, refining me, softening me, & working out your salvation through me, I can say I’m better at 38 than I was at 28. I want to look more like Jesus at 48!

Lent 2020

As the Lenten season approached, I knew I had to face off with what we were going to give up this year as a family. Let me preface this post with this: I have thoroughly been enjoying movies each night as I nursed Levi. It was something I looked forward to & I was getting to the place where I couldn’t imagine life in the nursing a newborn season without those movies.  One night, as I sat on the bed nursing the baby, I told the Lord that I really didn’t want to give up T.V., video games, or movies this year. I enjoyed playing Candy crush & watching movies to take my mind off of how tired I was. I asked God to give me the desire to give it all up. I needed a miracle! Sometime in the next 24 hours I was watching my kids on their devices & watching T.V. and I realized that it was time to regain our focus. To give it up again for the sake of putting it in its rightful place. The Lord actually gave me a longing to give it up, maybe even an excitement for what He would be able to

Praying the Promises Day 2

Right now, my praying isn’t led by tears and great pleading, like it has been in other seasons of life. And, that is okay. The Holy Spirit has to remind me of this. God still hears & is still answering. The Holy Spirit is interceding for me & I will keep claiming the promises for my kids & other people’s children.  Psalm 2:8 says,  “Only ask & I will give you the nations as your inheritance,  the whole earth as your possession!”  Lord, would give to me the children- my children, other people’s children & all of those whom You have placed a burden for on my heart...would you give them to me as my inheritance? When I get to Heaven I want to see them & see the fruit of their labor for You! That is enough, Lord, more than enough! Keep my eyes focused on this inheritance, not wavering from it!  Psalm 3- 1 O LORD, they have so many enemies; so many are against them. 2 So many are saying, “God will never rescue them!”  3 But you, O LORD, are a shield around them; you a