Skip to main content

A Promise for Another Year

"I will certainly be with you." Exodus 3:12


      It was 2 weeks before we were to start homeschooling again and dread overwhelmed me. Why? Because Isaiah didn't want to homeschool. It was painful to think of another year of trying to convince him that this is what we were called to right now, the best thing for our family.  I met with a friend and she told me about a new grant that enables low income families to go to private school. Perfect! Perhaps this was my answer...Isaiah could go to Heartland Christian School. I was sad that this may be God's answer because I would miss the time with him, but wanted the best for the kids. So, I began the application process. I had an unsettling feeling the entire time. When I stopped to hear from the Lord on the issue, I could hear Him saying, "Heather, I've told you to homeschool, given you the curriculum, answered your fears, and you're still not obeying." Ouch! "Okay, Lord, I'll listen, but could you do one more thing for me...one more fleece? (Gideon did it and he was called a mighty warrior) Could you convince Isaiah? I really don't want another year of stressing over his unenjoyment." At that moment, I just decided to rest in the decision to homeschool. After all, He kept giving me the promise that He would teach my children. So, rest I did. God would guide.
      Saturday night on the drive home from camp I got a text from Kathryn, a friend who has a son Isaiah's age.  The two of them are best buds.  The text read, "I want to talk to you about homeschooling." I said jokingly to Nate, "Haha, she's going to ask me to homeschool Jonah." I knew this was the farthest thing from her mind because I had four kids and I was pregnant with #5. But sure enough Sunday morning while I was explaining about the different curriculums she said, "no, I thought maybe you could homeschool Jonah while I watch the babies." Haha! I felt a peace immediately....a crazy, chaotic peace if thats's possible, but peace. I knew it was a little crazy, but I also knew Isaiah would be so excited to homeschool with Jonah.  I would pray about it, but I knew immediately that this was from God.  This was His answer.
   We are currently in week three of homeschooling and there have not been two days that have looked the same, but our kids are happy and they're learning!  School is going better than ever. We have the best of both worlds...flexibility, freedom, and family time...fun and friends.

Thank you, God, for always coming through for our family, calming my fears, taking us on unimaginable ventures, and giving Your sweet rest and peace.  You are so amazing!





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Birthday

I turned 38 last Friday. What a special day! Nate surprised me with Orange Leaf, my favorite frozen yogurt place, & a trip to Pittsburgh for Moe’s Mexican food, a Pirates game, & fireworks.  I am so thankful for these blessings pictured, but also my amazing friends & family.  I am 23 weeks pregnant today & so very thankful that the Lord has settled this “barren woman as a happy mother of children.” Everyday I am overwhelmed at God’s goodness, how He provides and takes care of me & even chooses to give extra special gifts above and beyond like birthday adventures.   Thank you, Jesus, for these 38 years.  With you in the lead I can truly say that I love getting older! Holy Spirit, with you continually working in me, through me, reminding me, refining me, softening me, & working out your salvation through me, I can say I’m better at 38 than I was at 28. I want to look more like Jesus at 48!

Lent 2020

As the Lenten season approached, I knew I had to face off with what we were going to give up this year as a family. Let me preface this post with this: I have thoroughly been enjoying movies each night as I nursed Levi. It was something I looked forward to & I was getting to the place where I couldn’t imagine life in the nursing a newborn season without those movies.  One night, as I sat on the bed nursing the baby, I told the Lord that I really didn’t want to give up T.V., video games, or movies this year. I enjoyed playing Candy crush & watching movies to take my mind off of how tired I was. I asked God to give me the desire to give it all up. I needed a miracle! Sometime in the next 24 hours I was watching my kids on their devices & watching T.V. and I realized that it was time to regain our focus. To give it up again for the sake of putting it in its rightful place. The Lord actually gave me a longing to give it up, maybe even an excitement for what He would be able to

Praying the Promises Day 2

Right now, my praying isn’t led by tears and great pleading, like it has been in other seasons of life. And, that is okay. The Holy Spirit has to remind me of this. God still hears & is still answering. The Holy Spirit is interceding for me & I will keep claiming the promises for my kids & other people’s children.  Psalm 2:8 says,  “Only ask & I will give you the nations as your inheritance,  the whole earth as your possession!”  Lord, would give to me the children- my children, other people’s children & all of those whom You have placed a burden for on my heart...would you give them to me as my inheritance? When I get to Heaven I want to see them & see the fruit of their labor for You! That is enough, Lord, more than enough! Keep my eyes focused on this inheritance, not wavering from it!  Psalm 3- 1 O LORD, they have so many enemies; so many are against them. 2 So many are saying, “God will never rescue them!”  3 But you, O LORD, are a shield around them; you a