Skip to main content

Flesh and Blood Faith

Something struck me this year as I read the Christmas story and I haven't been able to get away from it, especially since the theme of fearlessness has been on the forefront of my mind.

Luke 1:  (Paraphrased by me)
Gabriel came to Mary and told her that she was the chosen one to carry the Messiah, the King of Kings, the One her people had been anticipating for hundreds of years. WOW!  I imagine that she would've felt like the least qualified for this job.  Thus, her answer, "How will this be since I am a virgin?" 1:34.

In verse 35 the angel tells her exactly how it is going to happen...through the power of the Holy Spirit.  He even gives her a story to increase her faith.  Her cousin Elisabeth who is really old and barren is pregnant.  He says, "For nothing is impossible with God!" 1:37  No human mind can comprehend this fact.  But, Mary had faith.  Her reply to this "impossible" news?  "I am the Lord's servant."  "May it be to me as you have said!" 1:38

What happens next is what really stood out to me this year:  "In those days Mary arose and went with haste into the hill country, to a town of Judah" 1:39

1.  God called Mary to something far beyond herself
This is evident.  A little single naive girl carrying the Savior of the world?  Only through eyes of faith does this look like a possibility.  But, as God has revealed all through scripture, this is how He works.  He calls the ones who look like the least qualified (As we will see later on in the year as we look at these stories of fearlessness in the Old Testament.)

2.  God gave Mary a refuge in the midst of her great calling
Mary heard from the angel, had faith and RAN to this city of refuge (See Joshua 20:7-9).  Elisabeth was waiting there for her, to speak words of truth and comfort to her.  "In a loud voice she exclaimed, 'Blessed are you among women, and blessed is the child you will bear!" Luke 1:42


Isn't God sweet?  He didn't have to give Mary any more signs and wonders.  He had already sent an angel to speak the Word of the Lord to her, yet he chose to raise up flesh and blood to speak truth to Mary.  He called on someone who could give Mary a big hug, listen to her fears, and would speak faith into Mary's heart.

Mary's response?  Worship!  (Keep reading in Luke and you'll hear the beautiful song in Mary's heart)

If God has called us to something far beyond ourselves (we all know He has), He will also provide the refuge from fear that we need to be faithful on the journey.  Yes, He will give of Himself and give us all the signs we need to keep going and this is enough.  But He will go an extra step and provide the faithful word from flesh and blood that we need as human beings to keep going.

Our only caution should be that we don't forget those miraculous encounters from God to keep us journey.  Write them down.  You can refer back to them if you're tempted to turn around!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Birthday

I turned 38 last Friday. What a special day! Nate surprised me with Orange Leaf, my favorite frozen yogurt place, & a trip to Pittsburgh for Moe’s Mexican food, a Pirates game, & fireworks.  I am so thankful for these blessings pictured, but also my amazing friends & family.  I am 23 weeks pregnant today & so very thankful that the Lord has settled this “barren woman as a happy mother of children.” Everyday I am overwhelmed at God’s goodness, how He provides and takes care of me & even chooses to give extra special gifts above and beyond like birthday adventures.   Thank you, Jesus, for these 38 years.  With you in the lead I can truly say that I love getting older! Holy Spirit, with you continually working in me, through me, reminding me, refining me, softening me, & working out your salvation through me, I can say I’m better at 38 than I was at 28. I want to look more like Jesus at 48!

Praying the Promises Day 2

Right now, my praying isn’t led by tears and great pleading, like it has been in other seasons of life. And, that is okay. The Holy Spirit has to remind me of this. God still hears & is still answering. The Holy Spirit is interceding for me & I will keep claiming the promises for my kids & other people’s children.  Psalm 2:8 says,  “Only ask & I will give you the nations as your inheritance,  the whole earth as your possession!”  Lord, would give to me the children- my children, other people’s children & all of those whom You have placed a burden for on my heart...would you give them to me as my inheritance? When I get to Heaven I want to see them & see the fruit of their labor for You! That is enough, Lord, more than enough! Keep my eyes focused on this inheritance, not wavering from it!  Psalm 3- 1 O LORD, they have so many enemies; so many are against them. 2 So many are saying, “God will never rescue them!”  3 But you, O LORD, are a shield around them; you a

Lent 2020

As the Lenten season approached, I knew I had to face off with what we were going to give up this year as a family. Let me preface this post with this: I have thoroughly been enjoying movies each night as I nursed Levi. It was something I looked forward to & I was getting to the place where I couldn’t imagine life in the nursing a newborn season without those movies.  One night, as I sat on the bed nursing the baby, I told the Lord that I really didn’t want to give up T.V., video games, or movies this year. I enjoyed playing Candy crush & watching movies to take my mind off of how tired I was. I asked God to give me the desire to give it all up. I needed a miracle! Sometime in the next 24 hours I was watching my kids on their devices & watching T.V. and I realized that it was time to regain our focus. To give it up again for the sake of putting it in its rightful place. The Lord actually gave me a longing to give it up, maybe even an excitement for what He would be able to