Skip to main content

A Happy Mama

He settles the barren woman in her home as a happy mother of children. Psalm 113:9

I remember a time I hated being a Mom. Gasp! Yes, I feel sick saying it aloud, but I hated it.  The "what ifs" of fear ruled my life every second of the day...there was no peace to be found.  I continually reached the "end of my rope" and wanted to run.  The temper tantrums, strong-wills, challenges of teaching outside of the home, trying to be superwoman at church.  Sure, I loved hearing, "How on earth do you do it all?", but always felt that I was about to snap in anger or just have an emotional break down.

I remember vividly sitting at the park watching Moms interact with their children with such joy, peace, and true contentment.  That is what I wanted.  To be able to set other things aside and enjoy my children, my role in life.

In 2010 I was on the verge of another breakdown and I was ready to give up.  The dream of having a big family was fading because I didn't believe I could do it.  This angry, fearful mother was ruining the 2 children I already had.

I signed up to go to the Titus Women's Retreat in picturesque Wilmot, Ohio through an invitation from an acquaintance...to get away with the Lord and sort things out.

April 21, 2010, I went to the altar and prayed with Linda Boyette.  I don't remember everything she said, but one thing stands out...JESUS IS ENOUGH! And in that moment at that blessed altar, I knew what I was really missing was total surrender to Jesus.  She had me read Ezekiel 36:25-27- (My own version) :)

I will sprinkle clean water on Heather, and Heather will be clean;
I will cleanse Heather from all of her impurities and from all of her idols.
I will give Heather a new heart and put a new spirit in Heather;
I will remove from her a heart of stone and give her a heart of flesh.
I will put my spirit in Heather and move her to follow my decrees and be careful to follow my laws.

After the realization of the power of that verse in my life, I felt the complete LOVE and PEACE of the Holy Spirit come upon me.  A reassurance that everything was going to be okay.  A realization that even when I mess up, Jesus is still there and He is still enough.  It wasn't about me..striving, trying, struggling...it was all about Him.  I just had to give in, surrender.  And I DID!  I surrendered...everything!

I went home to life...changed.  Resting in Jesus.  I can tell you today, 3 years later that He is still enough!

My little Ezekiel (Named from that verse) was born on April 20, 2011.  He was my promise from God that He will equip me for the journey of motherhood.  I have no need to fear.  He is enough!

Praise You, Jesus, for the strength to surrender...daily.      

Thank you that this verse is true in my life today...He settles the barren woman in her home as a happy mother of children. Psalm 113:9

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Listen Up...

At the Discipleship Summit this year Jesus kept telling me in multiple ways to be a better listener... 1. He was a great listener! Isaiah 53-"He was led like a lamb to the slaughter, but he did not say anything." 2. Most of the time when I talk, I regret what I said 3. It's a way to be a servant 4. I can learn alot from other people 5. Listening is the best form of counseling...my response can be prayer! As the Lord began to challenge me with this, I began asking to help me with questions to ask people... In the hot tub that afternoon I met an amazing missionary woman who began asking me about my kiddos. Not only did she ask me about their ages, but she also asked what each of their personalities were like. I had to really think about that question. She was genuinely interested in me and it felt amazing! This is going to take alot of effort, but through the power of the Holy Spirit it can be done! I am trusting that this will change my relationships,  even with my...

Quote of the Week

On Sunday afternoon I had the kids doing some chores to get ready to leave for Arizona. Zeke, my eight year old, said to me, “Mom, could you write down a list for me so that I can cross things off?” Haha! I love it, a child after my own heart. Our, at least another one that I’ve passed my sickness down to!  Thank you, Jesus, for these glimpses that you’re helping me raise my kids to be competent adults. Momming with Sparkle,  Heather

The B-I-B-L-E Yes That's the Book For Me!

Yesterday, after much bickering and breaking up fights I said to the kids, "We really need to sit down and read our Bible together.  We need to hear from the Lord!"  The sounds that followed ripped me to the core..."Awww!" "Do we have to?" "I don't like reading the Bible!"  I wanted to scream in anger about how they never seem to make those sounds when we sit down to watch a movie, but I didn't, I just started reading.  Zeke was the only one scrambling to get to my lap and hear the story. Afterwards, I let the kids go play and I just sat in the Popasan chair feeling dejected, like a terrible mother. "Lord, you promised to pour out your Spirit on my children!  What is happening?  I am failing you...failing them!  You have to do something" I brought them all back into the sun room for a light lecture.  Haha...yeah, if that's possible! "Guys, I have one main job as a mother and that is to teach you the Word of God....